DION RED BARN SNOWSHOE RACE CANCELLED – OFFICIAL STATEMENT (Feb 28, 2017):
Due to lack of snow and unsafe, icy conditions the Dion Red Barn Snowshoe Race is cancelled for this weekend.
- SNOW – With unseasonably warm temperatures, we have lost all of our snow in the fields, and over 50% of the snow in the forest trails. There are too many long exposed sections of rock, grass, water and ice to have a snowshoe race on any of the trails.
- SAFETY – Our backup plan was to have a trail race, however with the heavy rains we’ve experienced, most of the trails are flooded or ice covered, including dangerous rocky sections. With more heavy rain in the forecast and then cold temperatures returning, any potential route will be mostly ice, and unsafe to run.
- RACE DATE – We moved the date of the race into March this year to not conflict with our friends from Saranac Lake and the World Snowshoe Championships. Our race date will be moved back into February for 2018 to provide the best possible snow conditions.
We apologize for Mother Nature not cooperating this year, but the safety of all competitors is our number one concern.
Refunds will be given to all competitors who were registered.
Series champions of the Dion Ontario Snowshoe Running Series will be announced shortly.
Thank you to everyone who participated in the 2017 Dion Ontario Snowshoe Running Series, and we hope to see you all again next year.
Dion Ontario Snowshoe Running Series
This is the final race in the 2017 Dion Ontario Snowshoe Running Series, and will also serve as the Dion Ontario Snowshoe Running Championships race!
Saturday, March 4, 2017
10:00am (race day registration from 8:30 – 9:45am at the race site)
1594 Switzerville Road, Odessa, ON | Take highway 401 to Camden East Road (County Rd #4/Exit 593). Turn north and follow 2.7km to Switzerville Road. Turn left on Switzerville Road and go 2km to Red Barn. Park in plowed driveway or along north side of road.
There will be NO INDOOR FACILITIES. Please bring warm clothes to change into following the race.
There will be a portable toilets on site.
Free parking at the barn and on Switzerville Road.
If you don’t own a pair of snowshoes, we have a limited number of Dion Snowshoes for rent, and are available on a first come, first serve basis. Please contact us if you would like a pair reserved. Rental fee is $5/race and payable on race day at pickup. Other snowshoes may be available for rental at various Kingston and area outdoor stores.
DION SNOWSHOE DISCOUNT AND DEMO:
All race participants are eligible for a 10% discount on Dion Running Snowshoes from Spafford Health and Adventure upon registration. We will also have some Dion demo snowshoes for you to try out after the race.
In the unlikely event of no snow, the race will still take place as a trail run (without snowshoes).
EARLY ENTRY FEE: $25.00 (Before February 18, 2017)
REGULAR ENTRY FEE: $35.00 (February 19 – March 2, 2017)
LATE ENTRY FEE: $45.00 (Race day)
Sign up early to guarantee your customized race souvenir. Available while supplies last to those who preregister.
POST RUN AWARDS:
• First place male and female overall will win merchandise awards from our sponsors.
• All participants eligible for numerous draw prizes.
• Homemade African Chickpea Soup, Smores and Munchies around the Bonfire! (Please bring your own mug/cup/spoon to cut down on waste. Thank you)
• Please bring your own camp chair for around the Bonfire after the race.
For more information, please contact email@example.com
DION ONTARIO SNOWSHOE RUNNING SERIES:
Each racers top three finishes will count towards the series with the lowest point total being declared the winner. The first place male and female winner of the Dion Ontario Snowshoe Running Series will each win a pair of top-of-the-line Dion running snowshoes at the conclusion of the series. We will also be randomly drawing for a free pair of Dion Snowshoes and additional prizes at each race in the Dion Ontario Snowshoe Running Series. You must be at awards ceremony to win!